Sequential images continuation

Hello again!

First I would like to write something about great and talented photographer David LaChapelle. In his works he combined elements of fantasy, religious, and creationism. His photographic style has been described as "hyper-real slyly subversive" and as "kitsch pop surrealism". His works are known by colourfulness, flowers and celebrities.




His first photo which I choosen is one photo from "Paradise Found" series created for The Washington Post Magazine In the picture we can see gorgeous black woman, with bitten fruit in her hand what may be reference to Bible Eve. Of course it is not typical representation of biblical Eve as befits to Davide LaChapelle, who love break stereotypes and depart from the schemes. The colours are very saturated what adds magical charms. Palmas leaves and other plants can indicate that woman is in the paradise. She looks for someone but we can not know who is it.




Second work created by Davide LaChapelle is Behold (2017). The man in photo is painted blue, standing with closed eyes and have scars on his chest. Model have flowers in his hair and we can see yellow lines coming out of the head what can be symbol of aureola. We can guess that this man is a reflection of Jesus. All photo have strong colours and character.

From photos like this I can learn how to combine colors to give photos a mysterious and magical  climate, what can be useful in my next projects.


Sequential images.

While I was sitting in lecture where our tutor showed us photos created by Sam Taylor Wood: "Self Portrait Suspended" (2004) what presents floating woman above the ground. She looks like gravity has missed her.
Immediately I thought about freedom. The question came to me: why people can not be free and fulfil their dreams without thinking what would think about that other people? That's how I came up with the idea how to create my own sequential images what presents captivity of the mind. At the beginning I drew a sketch to show my idea. You can see how it looked in my mind .


I wanted to create and put photos together in this way but I changed my mind when I did and edited pictures. This idea is simple but I think it describes that what I meant. Balloons here are symbols of dreams, missed opportunities and self confidence, what are stopped by hand which does not allow balloon to let go, althought he is ready to fly far away. 


This is what the finished photos look like. I decided to pay all attention on balloon. It is because he is red on the grey bacground. Sometimes people can feel like this balloon. Hampered, limited in action, unappreciated. They can be like that balloon when they do not doing what they love, because they are scared what will think people about it, or maybe someone who are in toxic relationship or fiendship.

I did last photo where balloon is out of the hand, at the and he is free what can be a symbol of freeing yourself from all restrictions. I named it "Freedom"


I did not put it together with other photos because it does not fit to them, but I want it to be here. My photos was made by phone and I editing them in photoshop.

To editing photos I used an app in phone named 'Adobe Photoshop Express: Photo Editor Collage Maker' where I used the filter in category 'splash', called 'Red' and then I uploaded photos to my laptop and I used Photoshop to cover filter imperfection, which was a red shadow below ballons (I used for it mask layer). I wanted to do everything in my phone, but the Photoshop version for phones do not have that much settings like in laptops.

Comments

  1. Okay, so you have looked at the work of David LaChapelle. Please state in your post why this is relevant to your own work and what you have learned from it. Also, explain the process of creating your final outcome and add technical details. What tools did you use in Photoshop? Did you encounter any challenges? Why have you chosen for this composition? Have you used any specific settings on your phone to create the photograph?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts