Exposure

Hello,
In the post below I would like to discuss the knowledge I get to create better photos for my project. To learn about exposure I used the website called Cambridge in colour and some videos from the YouTube platform which I will mention later. 

For photos to look good and fit for the project, I had to learn the basics of photography with camera manual settings, which at the very beginning seemed to be a very difficult matter. After watching a video on the YouTube platform, everything became clearer. In addition, I read the article on Cambridgeincolour.com regarding exposure photos and took a few photos that I presented in previous posts. This post will focus primarily on the knowledge I gained to improve my photographic skills. I will compare a few photos that I presented in previous posts and describe what I was able to change and how I did it.

First of all, below I present photos on which I did not know how to set ISO, aperture and shutter speed, and those that I took when I understood the basics by photographing the same things.



ISO 80, F/8.3, 1/250          ISO 200, F/3, 1/200 



ISO 200, F/3, 1/100          ISO 80, F/3.1, 1/320

Reading this page, I learned the specialization of all functions that work together, where, how and when I should change the settings so that the pictures look the way I want.

First of all, I learned that it's best to keep ISO on low numbers because high settings add noise to photos.
Another important information when it comes to ISO is the fact that it is responsible for the amount of light that reaches the camera when creating the photo.

When it comes to aperture, it is responsible for the width of the objective lens and what the focus is on when creating the photo. Low aperture allows you to focus on one object by blurring the background (often used when taking portraits), while high aperture allows you to take a clear photo without blur (used e.g. when taking landscape)

Shutter speed is responsible for the speed of taking a photo and how long the lens is open allowing light to enter the lens. The lower the shutter speed, the camera will capture motion blur, and when the shutter speed is high, no motion blur will be seen.


After reading and familiarizing myself with all the settings, I decided to look for more information on exposure. I came across a video on youtube created by David Manning, which presented only the basics and information on how to behave when the photos, despite setting everything as it should be, are still too bright or too dark. I think this knowledge is very useful and I will remember it for a long time.




I used the knowledge of this video and the Cambridgeincolour.com website to create comparative photos and used it to create photos from previous posts.
I will also use it when creating my project. 







References: 

CAMBRIDGE IN COLOUR, (2020). EXPOSURE TRIANGLE: APERTURE, ISO & SHUTTER SPEED. [image] Available at: <https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm> [Accessed 10 June 2020].

MANNING, D., (2019). Image Too Bright, Too Dark. [image] Available at: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7z7BAZdt2M&list=PLe3ZIvsYf5zxWqZxgq-d7GqDeUQGjUO4D&index=10&t=545s> [Accessed 10 June 2020].

Comments

Popular Posts